Have You Tried CBD for Stomach Pain Relief?
CBD for Stomach Pain Relief is becoming more commonly talked about in the community. Stomach pain, also known as a stomachache, has many causes, with the common ones being indigestion, gas pains, or pulled muscle. While these causes aren’t severe, others may require urgent medical attention.
Diseases can affect organs in the abdomen resulting in abdominal pain. Such organs include:
- small and large intestines
The location of the abdominal pain can give a clear clue of the exact cause. Generalized pain throughout the abdomen may indicate urinary tract infection (UTI), irritable bowel syndrome, traumatic injury, and appendicitis.
Pain experienced on the lower abdomen may be a sign of appendicitis or intestinal obstruction.
In women, pain in the lower abdomen may result from menstruation, fibroids, ectopic pregnancy, ovarian cysts, pelvic inflammatory disease, and miscarriage.
Types of abdominal pain
There are three types of abdominal pain:
- Localized pain is restricted in one region of the abdomen. Localized pain is usually caused by issues in a specific organ, such as stomach ulcers.
- Colicky pain occurs suddenly without any warning, and it can be a symptom of more severe conditions, such as kidney stones.
- Cramp-like pain may occur due to constipation, bloating, and diarrhea. In women, cramp-like pain can be caused by miscarriage, menstruation, or other female reproductive organ complications.
CBD for stomach pain relief
Cannabidiol (CBD) is one over 100 already identified cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant. CBD Studies can either be derived from hemp or marijuana. Some people dread when they hear about hemp because they associate it with the ‘high’ feeling.
But, the truth is, CBD is non-psychoactive, and it will provide the needed benefits without getting high, unlike its counterpart tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
The human body has a network of neurotransmitters called the endocannabinoid system that regulates the body’s most important functions, such as response to pain, inflammation, appetite, mood, and sleep. The ECS does this with the help of cannabinoid receptors: CB1 and CB2.
The endocannabinoid system has three main elements:
- Cannabinoid receptors
CB1 receptors are available in abundance in the central nervous system, while CB2 receptors in the immune system. When you ingest CBD, it activates these receptors to maintain homeostasis in the body.
While research on CBD for stomach pain relief in its early stages, current research suggests that CBD may potentially relieve chronic pain.
Consumption of CBD increases the production of anandamide — a natural endocannabinoid that interacts with CB1 receptors when the body is experiencing pain. As a result, anandamide blocks pain signals from traveling to the brain.
Moreover, CBD inhibits several neurotransmitters’ from breaking down, including dopamine, GABA, serotonin, and anandamide. This may explain CBD’s pain-relieving properties because anandamide’s high production may potentially help manage pain before being broken down by enzymes.
Another study done on rat models examined the use of transdermal cannabidiol to reduce inflammation. Researchers concluded that CBD significantly reduced inflammation and pain without evident side effects.
These studies look promising for those looking for a natural alternative for stomach pain relief.
Stomach pain diagnosis
Stomach pain diagnosis involves several tests. First, your doctor will do a physical examination by pressing the abdomen to determine sensitive areas. The severity of the pain and the location within the abdomen will help your doctor decide whether more tests are needed.
X-rays, MRI scans, and ultrasounds can also be done to diagnose fractures, inflammation, tumors, and raptures in the abdomen.
Your doctor can also perform additional tests, such as:
- Colonoscopy to examine the inner part of the intestines and colon
- Endoscopy to identify inflamed areas in the stomach and esophagus
- Upper GI X-ray to examine the presence of inflammation, ulcers, growths, and blockages in the stomach
Stomach pain treatment
While there are over-the-counter stomach relievers such as Pepto-Bismol or Zantac, home remedies have proven effective in treating and preventing stomach pain. Some of them include:
- Drinking water frequently
- Eating healthy
- Limiting alcohol intake
- Quit smoking
- Exercising regularly
If pain persists, seek immediate medical care.
When to see a doctor
Abdominal pain can either be acute or chronic. Acute stomach pain develops and subsides within a few hours or days. But, if the pain is intense and persistent, this may warrant a visit to a doctor. You should seek medical attention if you experience the following symptoms:
- Persistent abdominal pain that lasts for more than 24 hours
- Bloody stool
- Difficulty breathing
- Severe inflammation and tenderness around the abdomen
- Persistent nausea and vomiting
- A burning sensation when passing urine
- High fever
How to take CBD for stomach pain relief
There are various ways to consume CBD. Here are the most popular forms:
- CBD oils / CBD Tinctures are the most common forms of ingesting CBD. Tinctures can be swallowed or taken sublingually. Sublingual administration is fast-acting, and the results can be felt within 30-45 minutes, depending on the potency. Simply place the recommended dose beneath the tongue and hold for 30 seconds before swallowing.
- CBD Edibles come in the form of CBD gummies, cookies, and brownies. The best thing about edibles is, you’re going to enjoy your delicious gummy while reaping CBD benefits at the same time. For edibles, it takes longer to experience the effects because they must pass through the digestive tract.
- CBD Topicals are applied directly to the affected area. CBD topicals are creams, lotions, salves, and moisturizers infused with CBD. You can apply generously on the abdomen, especially where you’re experiencing pain.
- CBD Vape You can also vape CBD oil. However, not all cannabidiols can be vaped. So, be sure to read the label before vaping.
The Come Back Daily Commitment
When you buy CBD online from Come Back Daily, you can trust that you’re getting the best CBD products possible due to Come Back Daily’s curation process. Our CBD experts review and hand-select all of the products in Come Back Daily’s online CBD shop. We review the lab results and test each product before on-boarding new brands. Come Back Daily is the most trusted Online CBD Store, we were voted #1 CBD Shop by NYC Norml. If you have any questions about CBD or what to buy, we’re available most times on live chat, or by email. We’d love to hear from you.